Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Retention vs Job Policy -- In Bacula

2012-10-25 13:58:03
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Retention vs Job Policy -- In Bacula
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: Michael Namaiandeh <mnamaiandeh AT healthcit DOT com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 13:55:40 -0400
On 2012-10-24 13:26, Michael Namaiandeh wrote:
> Can someone please explain to me what is the difference between
> Retention Policy and Job Policy?

I can't find any reference to 'Job Policy' in the Bacula documentation.

What do you mean by that?

> Currently, I have a retention policy of 2 months and a job policy of
> 13 days.

Retention refers to meta data.  Specifically, what Files were backed up
on
what Clients, by what Jobs, and to what Volumes.  Retention does not
refer
to how long backups are kept, but they are related.  See later.  This
meta-data
is retained in the Catalog (the database).

There are three retention values: File, Job, Volume.

To make it easiest when restoring a job, I always keep all three values
equal to
each other.  Some people prefer to minimize their Catalog size.  I
emphasize ease
of restore over database size.  Disk space is cheap compared to the
time spent
when you need to restore data.

If your File retention period has lapsed, you will no longer be able to
restore individual files.

If your Job retention period has lapsed, you will no longer be able to
restore individual job.

Does that help?

> Also, is there a way to auto purge backup files after they are no
> longer needed?

I would start a new thread, with that as the subject. It is best not to
ask multiple topics in one email.  :)

--
Dan Langille - http://langille.org/