Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] bacula holding my tapes hostage

2012-10-23 12:39:35
Subject: [Bacula-users] bacula holding my tapes hostage
From: Simon Tyler <simon AT tpmcomm DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 12:31:07 -0400
We were doing so well, I started thinking about bacula in terms of a long term relationship.

Over the weekend we had a scheduled power outage. The tape drive and bacula server were properly shut down.

The next time I tried to take out the tapes, there was an error message displayed on the front panel of the autoloader: "magazine locked by host system"

I had unmounted the tape first, the same as I've been doing all along. I tried mounting, unmounting, release, powering down autoloader, rebooting bacula server and so on many times but without success. I've done a fair bit of searching for a resolution, but I can't seem to find a way to unlock the magazine. I tried sg_prevent --allow --verbose without success.

This is an HP 1/8 G2 Autoloader, bacula 5.12

I see just one "TapeAlert[32] Interface: Problem with SCSI interface between tape drive and initiator." error in the log, however I'm still able to successfully backup, mount/unmount etc

I don't see any other errors in the logs. I'm going to harass HP, I won't mention bacula. I thought I'd post to the list in case you've got any suggestions, I'd really appreciate  your thoughts.

Thanks,

Simon Tyler  |  Systems Administrator
TPM Communications
|  416-408-2727  x286