Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Query regarding Bacula

2012-10-17 09:19:35
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Query regarding Bacula
From: lst_hoe02 AT kwsoft DOT de
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 15:17:27 +0200
Zitat von krishna pawankar <krishnapawankar AT yahoo.co DOT in>:

> Hi,
> I am using bacula 5.2.6 which will replace other network backup
> software if it is proven to be more featured compared to other
> nework backup software.
>
> Statistically i want to show the compression ratio bacula can
> support while backing up the data over the other vendor softwares
> also what amount of clients does it support flawlessly since other
> supports over 3000 thousand clients like IBM TSM. Also i would like
> to understand what amount of concurrent jobs bacula can support.

Hello

most vendors use the established compression methods like using
zlib/gzip under the surface, so i doubt you will see much of
difference between different vendors. Regarding the number of clients
and concurrency it all depends. Bacula does not bother the clients
regularly but only in case there is something to do, so your only
problem will be to manage the clients/jobs (text based config file)
and handle concurrency while doing backup jobs.
As far as i know the Storage Daemon will be the "hot-spot" because it
will use one thread per client backup running and of course your OS
must be able to handle some thousand TCP connections. That said you
could also split the load to a number of Storage Daemons and only use
a central Director. With this the next "hot-spot" will be the Director
Database managing the file metadata.
In any way you should consider to get professional help from
Baculasystems (www.baculasystems.com) with this target scale.

Regards

Andreas