Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Living dangerously with Bacula Directors

2012-10-12 09:31:15
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Living dangerously with Bacula Directors
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 09:28:16 -0400
On 10/12/12 06:12, Sven Tegethoff wrote:
> On 12.10.2012 01:30, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>> I'm not planning to actually try this, but I'm curious to know whether
>> anyone has ever tried a corner case like this one, and if so, what happened.

> Letting two copies of the same director configuration run on different
> hosts will blow up spectacularly. Using the same database for both will
> corrupt your catalog, because director A will be "unaware" of database
> updates that director B did while it wasn't looking, leading to an
> inconsistent state that you most likely won't be able to recover from :)
> There will also be error messages and crashes because of duplicate keys,
> and both directors no longer knowing what state their in.
>
> Even if you ran a second copy of the director under a different name and
> an independant copy of your database, you will still run into problems.
> Since you effectively have the same media listed in two catalogs, both
> directors will end up overwriting each other's media in non-predictable
> ways.

Yeah, that's about what I figured.  :)  (As noted, I didn't actually try
the experiment.)

> So in short: You should REALLY avoid this case :) When switching from
> the old director to the new one, shut down the old one, and to be sure
> to reconfigure it in a way it can't accidently be restarted. (Happened
> to me once, not with bacula, but a similar migration scenario - someone
> else who didn't know about a migration going on saw a server going down
> in Nagios and thought he'd do us a favour by restarting it. Big Mistake :) )

Yup, I shut down the original Director before I ran any jobs on the new
one.  (And discovered this morning that I'd forgotten to authorize the
new Director on three clients.)  But I was just curious as to what would
happen...

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.