Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Network error with FD during Backup: ERR=Connection reset by peer

2012-10-04 16:23:05
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Network error with FD during Backup: ERR=Connection reset by peer
From: Thomas Lohman <thomasl AT mtl.mit DOT edu>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2012 16:20:21 -0400
> Yesterday I waited for the job to finish the first tape and then wait
> for me to insert the next one.
>
> I opened wireshark to see if there is a heartbeat during waiting -
> and there was none. During the job the heartbeat was active.
>
>> From what you wrote the heartbeat should be active when waiting for
>> a tape. Could you try to confirm that (have a look at the code)?

Marcus,

I think that you should be seeing heartbeats in this case.  What version
of the Storage Daemon server are you running?  I am looking at 5.2.10
and up as far as the code.  Can you run it in debug mode?  If so, set
the debug level to 400 and you should get some messages in the output if
the heartbeat logic is working.

The heartbeat is sent from inside this method:

/*

* Wait for SysOp to mount a tape on a specific device.
   Returns: W_ERROR, W_TIMEOUT, W_POLL, W_MOUNT, or W_WAKE

*/
int wait_for_sysop(DCR *dcr)

Inside that method, there is a particular debug line:

Dmsg0(dbglvl, "Send heartbeat to FD.\n");

Anyhow, if you're not seeing this debug output then it is not sending a
heartbeat for whatever reason.  If you see it then it is sending it so
the problem lies elsewhere if you're still not seeing it arriving at
it's destination.

hope this helps,

--tom