Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] LTO3 tape capacity (variable?)

2012-09-25 04:10:58
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] LTO3 tape capacity (variable?)
From: Jeremy Maes <jma AT schaubroeck DOT be>
To: James Harper <james.harper AT bendigoit.com DOT au>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 10:08:15 +0200
Op 25/09/2012 2:03, James Harper schreef:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> This is not likely a bacula questions, but in the chance that it is, or the
>> experience on this list, I figured I would ask.
>>
>> We've been using LTO3 tapes with bacula for a few years now.  Recently I've
>> noticed how variable our tape capacity it, ranging from 200-800 Gb.
>>    Is that strictly governed by the compressibility of the actual data being
>> backed up?  Or is there some chance that bacula isn't squeezing as much
>> onto my tapes as I would expect?
>>
>> 200Gb is not very much!
>>
> I don't think this explains your issue, but LTO drives will write the data to
> the tape, and then immediately read it again (the read head is placed such
> that this is possible). If the read is bad the drive will rewrite the data.
> This ensures that you get a good write, but obviously decreases the effective
> capacity of your tape.
>
> Your tapes would have to be pretty worn out to drop the capacity to 25%
> though.
>
> The tape and/or drive should record the margin and other figures, but I don't
> know of any Linux tools to read that information.
>
> James
The tools depend on the brand. For HP drives ltt is nice and works
flawlessly on linux command-line. It reports drive errors, tape errors
for the past 4 tapes, tape and drive margin, and a lot of other info.
http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/ltt/

I know IBM has their own tool (ITDT), but as far as I know there is no
command-line version of their tool.

Other brands, no clue.

Regards,
Jeremy