Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Virtual Full for to different SD

2012-09-12 14:44:53
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Virtual Full for to different SD
From: Craig Van Tassle <cvantassle AT purdue DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 14:41:30 -0400
On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 19:29:47 +0200
Georges <rmdir AT laposte DOT net> wrote:

> Le 12/09/2012 18:27, Craig Van Tassle a écrit :
> > Does a VirtualFull job have to be run on the same SD as where the
> > Full is?
> Hello Craig
>
> As you know, Bacula can only do copies on a unique SD. You can not use
> this feature over SDs. This said, and depending on you infrastructure,
> if you have multiple partitions on storages on both sites, you should
> be able to copy from site A to site B using this.
> Enterprise version of Bacula has also a feature which may address
> this: it let you share an autoloader over multiple SDs, but you have
> to pay. (There was an offer to move from Community version to
> Enterprise.)
>
> > I'm trying to save space in my offsite SD. I though that doing
> > VirtualFull's to the offsite might be the way to go. Has anyone done
> > this or does anyone have a better recommendation how to do this?
> VirtualFull will never save space. It saves time and bandwidth.
> >
> > I cant just ship the tapes offsite. My Tape Library does not have
> > encryption abilities and that's a requirement for offsite access.
> Why don't you use encryption capabilities of Bacula ?
> >
> G.

> Live Security Virtual Conference
> threat landscape has changed and how IT managers can respond.
> Discussions will include endpoint security, mobile security and the
> latest in malware threats.
> http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfrnl04242012/114/50122263/

Sharing an autoloader across multiple SD is not going to help me.
I didn't think the VirtualFull would save me any space.

Using the encryption built in to bacula will take far to long for the
number and size of my backups. Also the management overhead of the
encryption is so much for my limited time.

The basic thing is I'm looking at using an offsite SD for DR backups.

You confirmed what I thought. Thanks.

--
Craig Van Tassle
HUBzero.org