Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Normal jobs running in parallel to copy jobs

2012-09-10 08:45:06
Subject: [Bacula-users] Normal jobs running in parallel to copy jobs
From: Stefan <sj AT weblaw DOT ch>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 14:34:15 +0200
Hi folks

I try to configure Bacula 5.2.5 to run "normal" jobs in parallel with a copy job so that if a copy job takes longer, the normal nightly incremental backup is not affected. Parallel backup jobs (both full and incremential) work like a charm but when I run a copy job, all other jobs starting after the copy job are waiting for it to complete.

Jobs are copied from the disk-based "Disk1" storage to the "Tape" pool. Incremental backups are using the disk-based storage "Disk". In my opinion parallel jobs should work because incremental and copy jobs both use different storage and pools/volumes

What am I missing? Is it impossible to run other jobs in parallel with a copy job?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Stefan

I have the following pool configuration:

# Disk Full Backup Pool
Pool {
  Name = Disk.Full
  Pool Type = Backup
  # Defines the pool to copy to.
  Next Pool = Tape.Full
  Recycle = yes
  AutoPrune = yes
  Volume Retention = 3 months
  Volume Use Duration = 1 month
  Label Format = Disk.Full-
  Maximum Volumes = 6
  Storage = Disk1
}

# Disk Incremential Backup Pool
Pool {
  Name = Disk.Inc
  Pool Type = Backup
  Recycle = yes
  AutoPrune = yes
  Volume Retention = 1 month
  Volume Use Duration = 1 month
  Label Format = Disk.Inc-
  Maximum Volumes = 4
  Storage = Disk
}

# Tape Full Backup Pool
Pool {
  Name = Tape.Full
  Pool Type = Backup
  Recycle = yes
  AutoPrune = yes
  Volume Retention = 3 months
  # Volume Use Duration is 7 days because the tape is only used to copy
  # all full backup jobs to it and afterwards its not needed anymore
  Volume Use Duration = 7 days
  Label Format = Tape.Full-
  Maximum Volumes = 4
  Storage = Tape
}

The copy job copies the latest full backups from the pool Disk.Full to the pool Tape

# The copy job should run after the monthly full backup therefore priority is set to 15
Job {
  Name = "Copy-LastFull-Tape"
  Type = Copy
  Pool = Disk.Full
  Schedule = "MonthlyCycleAfterBackup"
  # For a Copy Job, the parameters “Client” and “FileSet” don’t matter at all.
  # They are just there because the “Job” entry requires them.
  Client = backupserver-fd
  FileSet = "Linux"
  Messages = Standard
  # Select the last full backup of each client from Disk.Full pool to copy to tape
  Selection Type = SQLQuery
  Selection Pattern = "SELECT MAX(Job.JobId) FROM Job, Pool WHERE Job.Level = 'F' and  Job.Type = 'B' and Job.JobStatus = 'T' and Pool.Name = 'Disk.Full' and Job.PoolId = Pool.PoolId GROUP BY Job.Name ORDER BY Job.JobId;"
  # Run after main and catalog backup
  Priority = 15
}

Defined storage