Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Linux and the LTO-4 tape speed

2012-08-21 07:48:04
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Linux and the LTO-4 tape speed
From: Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>
To: lst_hoe02 AT kwsoft DOT de
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 12:45:32 +0100
On 21/08/12 12:27, lst_hoe02 AT kwsoft DOT de wrote:

> So i still wonder why the manual recommend not to change this value?

Because some (older) drive types don't like it and will break.

> The problem of not mixing the blocksize is obvious so if there is not
> other downside one should choose a larger value with any recent tape
> drive, no?

It's only obvious to those experienced with tape. Inexperienced admins
are likely to end up with non-restorable tapes due to mixed blocksizes
on one volume and not realise what they've done until it's far too late.

LTO drives can handle blocksize up to 16Mb. I suspect that moving to 4
or 8Mb would result in better throughput but that isn't an option at the
moment.

Similarly, the 64kb network block size isn't really large enough for
Gb/10Gb-scale networks but in my experience setting larger values causes
problems inside bacula.

Alan