Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Tape drive contention?

2012-08-02 16:23:40
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Tape drive contention?
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: Erich Weiler <weiler AT soe.ucsc DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 16:21:31 -0400
> No one responded to this, but I'm hoping it's a common problem...  Once
> a library fills up and the job pauses while waiting for more tapes to be
> labeled, how does one "label barcodes" after refilling the library with
> new tapes without the library trying to run a backup job on the same
> tape drive, causing the job to fail (details below)?

For the 6 or so years that I have had an autochanger with bacula, I
usually update slots then run the label barcodes for a drive that is
not currently in use. For my setup I have an autochanger resource and
2 drive resources and I have defined storage devices for each of these
in bacula-dir.conf so that I can schedule jobs to either the
autochanger resource or either of the drives. This is not recommended
by the developers but it seems to work.

Select daemon type for status (1-4): 2
The defined Storage resources are:
     1: File
     2: DLT-IV
     3: DVD-FILESERVER
     4: DEV6-DLT-IV-0
     5: DEV6-LTO-0
     6: DEV6-LTO2-1
     7: DEV6-Changer
Select Storage resource (1-7):

Storage device 5 & 6 are the drives in the autochanger.

after the label barcodes I issue a mount on the drive that bacula is
complaining about needing a new volume and it will then pick one it
has just labeled and go on with the backup.

John