Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Running Multiple Jobs at once

2012-08-02 16:15:27
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Running Multiple Jobs at once
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: dweimer AT dweimer DOT net, bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 16:13:07 -0400
On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 3:58 PM, dweimer <dweimer AT dweimer DOT net> wrote:
> On 2012-08-02 13:33, John Drescher wrote:
>>>  From the Tips and tricks section of the problem resolution guide, I
>>> have set the director, storage, client, and job resources all to use
>>> Max
>>> concurrent Jobs = 4, I have also set the device under the
>>> bacula-sd.conf
>>> to have a Max Concurrent Jobs = 4, as I found that was a new feature
>>> in
>>> the 5.0 branch from the documentation.  The file daemons and storage
>>> daemon, were already set to 20 max concurrent jobs. I don't believe
>>> that
>>> I need the entries under Job and Client, as I only intend to run one
>>> job
>>> per client and job, but I figured for testing I would start with
>>> them in
>>> there.  The jobs I am testing with are both set to the same
>>> priority.  I
>>> have reloaded the director, and restarted the storage daemon to get
>>> the
>>> new configurations read.
>>
>> Have you specified and volume restrictions at all (like use volume
>> once or having each job use a different volume)?
>>
>> John
>
> maxvolume jobs is set at 0 for all volumes on the system, as dangerous
> as it is to assume, I assume that means unlimited.  There is already 14
> jobs currently that have been written to this volume that my tests are
> hitting currently, though one at a time.  Of those 14 jobs, there are
> multiple from each of the servers I am testing my backup against while
> working on the concurrent jobs.
>
> None of the client jobs specify any target volumes, only storage and
> pool, both client jobs are set with the some storage and Pool settings,
> in fact the only difference is the names,filesets, and the first job
> does have a Client run before job, and after job scripts.  Fileset
> options are all the same, except the included and excluded files
> entries.

Do you see anything in the log or messages (bconsole mes command) when
this happens?

Also the output of status client, status storage and status dir can
help us debug this.

> Since I didn't think to mention versions before:
> The backup server, (one test client is the backup server itself) is
> running FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE-P3, with bacula 5.2.10, the file daemon of
> course is 5.2.10 as well both built from the FreeBSD ports system.
> Server is hitting a PostgreSQL 9.1.4 database backend for the catalog
> (is there possibly anything limiting jobs writing to catalog at once
> that I am missing).  second client is actually a FreeNAS 8.2-RELEASE-P1
> with bacula-fd running in a plugin jail on version 5.2.6 compiled from
> the FreeBSD 8.2 ports system within that jail.

I do not believe this version will cause you any problems. I am now
using 5.2.10 but I am not using freebsd however I have been using
concurrent jobs for 6 or so years and quite a few bacula versions...

John