Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Synthetic, Copy, Restore from either?

2012-07-30 12:32:11
Subject: [Bacula-users] Synthetic, Copy, Restore from either?
From: Mingus Dew <shon.stephens AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 12:29:44 -0400
Dear All,
     I was hoping someone could clarify for me a few points regarding
Synthetic Jobs, Copy Jobs, and restoring from Copy Jobs

The Synthetic job uses the last Full backup and subsequent Incremental
backups to create a new "Full" backup from current Volume data into a
new Pool/Volume. Does this new Job become the "Full" backup that new
Incremental or Full jobs refer to for change deltas and determining
files to backup?

If I have Copy Jobs configured to copy the week's Incremental backups
to tape from disk volume, does the Synthetic backup consider these
jobs at all, or only the actual Incremental jobs?

In the case of Copy Jobs, I imagine the purpose to be having the data
on disk and on tape. Is it possible to restore directly from a Copy
Job?

Yours,
Shon