Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Restoring encrypted backup

2012-07-12 08:12:41
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Restoring encrypted backup
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: Vincent Guyard <vguyard AT arcanogroup DOT com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 08:09:50 -0400
On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 5:46 AM, Vincent Guyard <vguyard AT arcanogroup DOT
com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have been using Bacula for a few years now and recently was asked to
> encrypt our backups.
>
> I am on a debian squeeze server:  2.6.32-5-amd64
> Bacula 5.0.2
>
> I am backing several Windows servers and a couple of Linux servers.
>
> I enabled encryption on the Bacula server and on a Windows 3003 R2 Server and
> the backups were both done successfully:
>
> Windows 2003 client (v 5.0.0)
>
>   Software Compression:   None
>   VSS:                    yes
>   Encryption:             yes
>   Accurate:               no
>   Volume name(s):         Miercoles
>   Volume Session Id:      1
>   Volume Session Time:    1342020770
>   Last Volume Bytes:      766,039,099,392 (766.0 GB)
>   Non-fatal FD errors:    0
>   SD Errors:              0
>   FD termination status:  OK
>   SD termination status:  OK
>   Termination:            Backup OK
>

> Linux Bacula Server (v 5.0.2)
>
>   Software Compression:   None
>   VSS:                    no
>   Encryption:             yes
>   Accurate:               no
>   Volume name(s):         Miercoles
>   Volume Session Id:      2
>   Volume Session Time:    1342020770
>   Last Volume Bytes:      796,094,401,536 (796.0 GB)
>   Non-fatal FD errors:    0
>   SD Errors:              0
>   FD termination status:  OK
>   SD termination status:  OK
>   Termination:            Backup OK
>
>  Today I tried to restore some files from the Windows client and got a whole
> bunch of:
>  12-Jul 10:32 zurix-fd JobId 3908: Error:
> /home/kern/bacula/k/bacula/src/filed/restore.c:534 Missing encryption session
> data stream for
> /nonexistant/path/to/file/archive/dir/bacula-restores/F/directorios
> compartidos/reuniones/DOCUMENTOS MACRO/
>
>  the job had 820 files to restore and there were 66 errors of this type
> reported, but all the files were restored successfully, incidentally all the
> errors reported point to directories and not files.
>
>  I tried to restore from the Bacula Server and got the following error:
>  Error: attribs.c:423 File size of restored file
> /nonexistant/path/to/file/archive/dir/bacula-restores/mnt/Data/rsyslog/192.168.1.1.log
>  not correct. Original 1735132175, restored 1735206233.
>
>  But again all the files restored ok.
>
>  So for the first error, what does it mean? If everything restores Ok, it's
> no biggie but are all my restore jobs from now on going to be failed?
>
>  For the second error, just so I understand it is comparing the file stored
> in that backup with the file it just restored, how can there be a difference?
>
>  If I only mark files to be restored then no error is reported, files are
> restored in the default restore job dir + the path under which it was backed
> up.
>
>  Anyone can help shed some light on this?

I believe it means that the filesize changed when that file was being
backed up since this is a system log file that is always being
appended to. You probably want to put that in an exclude clause in
your fileset so it does not waste space in your backups.

John