Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Migrate/copy from one pool to different pools based on schedule

2012-06-28 10:38:38
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Migrate/copy from one pool to different pools based on schedule
From: Mario Moder <lists AT demaio DOT de>
To: <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 16:35:08 +0200
Am 28.06.2012 13:31, schrieb Hugo Letemplier:
> 2012/6/28 Mario Moder <lists AT demaio DOT de>:
>> Hi Bacula Community.
>>
>> Simple setup: We have one "file-pool" which is used on a weekly
>> schedule (saturdays). We have another "tape-pool" and have
>> configured a
>> copy job, scheduled every monday, which copies all uncopied jobs
>> from
>> the "file-pool" to the "tape-pool". This works, no problems so far.
>>
>> Now I want to change the copy schedule so that it copies the
>> "file-pool" jobs to a "monthly-tape-pool" every 1st monday and
>> copies
>> the jobs from "file-pool" to a "weekly-tape-pool" every 2nd to 5th
>> monday (for some kind of "father-son" tape rotation)
>>
>> As far as I understand from the docs there may only be one "Next
>> pool"
>> directive in the "file-pool". For the above to work I would somehow
>> need
>> to overide the "Next pool" from within the schedule configuration
>> (use
>> "Next Pool = monthly-tape-pool" on 1st monday and use "Next pool =
>> weekly-tape-pool" on the remaining mondays. Is this possible?
>>

> You should use a "dummy" pool that you will use to run your copy job
> and this dummy pool's next pool should be set to the destination of
> your copy job
>
> I hope you will understand

Thanks for your answer, Hugo.

How does the copy job know then, _from_ which pool it should copy, when
the "dummy" pool has no volumes?

I should have included my config for clarity, here it is:

# bacula-dir.conf
# File pool
Pool {
   Name = File
   Pool Type = Backup
   Recycle = yes                       # Bacula can automatically
recycle Volumes
   AutoPrune = yes                     # Prune expired volumes
   Volume Retention = 30 days
   Maximum Volume Bytes = 100G          # Limit Volume size to something
reasonable
   Maximum Volumes = 10               # Limit number of Volumes in Pool
   Action On Purge = Truncate
   Next Pool = tape-weekly-pool
   Storage = file-stor
}

# tape weekly pool
Pool {
   Name = tape-weekly-pool
   Pool Type = Backup
   Recycle = yes
   AutoPrune = yes
   Volume Retention = 25 days
   Volume Use Duration = 3 days
   Recycle Current Volume = yes
   LabelFormat = "tape-weekly-"
   Maximum Volumes = 4
   Storage = tape-stor
}

# tape monthly pool
Pool {
   Name = tape-monthly-pool
   Pool Type = Backup
   Recycle = yes
   AutoPrune = yes
   Volume Retention = 5 months
   Volume Use Duration = 3 days
   Recycle Current Volume = yes
   LabelFormat = "tape-monthly-"
   Maximum Volumes = 6
}

Job {
   Name = "copy-job"
   Type = Copy
   Level = Full
   Client = bacula-fd
   FileSet = "Full Set"
   Messages = Standard
#  Schedule = copy-schedule
   Pool = File
   Selection Type = PoolUncopiedJobs
}

The "fictional" schedule (it doesn't work this way, but it should be
easier to understand) should look like this:

Schedule {
   Name = "copy-schedule"
#  Run = Level=Full Pool=File NextPool=tape-monthly-pool 1st mon at
10:00
#  Run = Level=Full Pool=File NextPool=tape-weekly-pool 2nd-5th mon at
10:00
}

I don't quite understand how the dummy pool you suggested should look
like, it would be nice if you could elaborate on that.

Thanks for your answer

Mario