Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Backup starts then immediately stops transferring and times out?

2012-06-18 11:18:55
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Backup starts then immediately stops transferring and times out?
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 11:16:30 -0400
On 6/15/2012 3:33 PM, Erich Weiler wrote:
> Actually I just figured this out.
>
> I needed the bootstrap files, and the directory that bacula writes the
> backups in, to be owned by user 'bacula' and group 'bacula'.
>
> And it seemed like I needed to create the bootstrap files manually:
>
> touch /data/bootstrap/client1.bsr
> touch /data/bootstrap/client2.bsr
> chown -R bacula.bacula /data/bootstrap
>
> It seems that even though the dir and sd daemons are running as root,
> they need the directories they write to be to be owned by bacula.bacula.
>
> Is that normal to have to do that?  I didn't see it in the manual, but I
> may have missed it...

Yes. It depends on what user:group each daemon runs as. It is normal for
bacula-dir to run as bacula:bacula. On the other hand, on many systems
only members of group 'disk' or 'tape' or etc. have write access to
/dev/*. Therefore bacula-sd, which must have write access to the storage
media, will often run as bacula:disk or some other group with write
access. On my system, Centos 6.1, /var/spool/bacula holds these files
and is owned by bacula:bacula with permissions 0750. bacula-dir runs as
bacula:bacula and bacula-sd runs as bacula:disk. Disk volume storage is
in directories owned by bacula:disk with permissions 0770.