Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Checking Storage Daemon file system free space before mounting/creating a volume and before running a job

2012-06-14 17:27:09
Subject: [Bacula-users] Checking Storage Daemon file system free space before mounting/creating a volume and before running a job
From: Yougo <hugo.let.35 AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 23:25:03 +0200
Hi the list

I have got a big space of 1,6 TB that contain all my backups jobs
I have often a filesystem full that is caused by two behaviors of Bacula:
- If a job run in a pool, it wont prune jobs in other pools than the one of the
running job, so it cant win some space from volumes or jobs that can be pruned
in the other pools although all theses jobs are physically stored in the same
file system
- If the file system is full, bacula will create volume, trying to write it,
fail, labeling another volumes until it reaches the max possible volume in the
pool.
- In a same way, bacula waits for the volume to be mounted but this will never
work because file system is full or volumes are all with a error status.

To force free space recovery I use a script that runs everydays: it scans my
pools, getting a volume list, pruning all theses volumes, truncating them if
necessary.
However, sometimes I have a big job (with level full) accumulation and so it
causes a big kaboom all jobs failing, changing volumes to error status,
reaching the max volumes/pool limit that then cause next jobs to fail…until an
operator action to purge all volumes that got error status, and then running
the maintenance script to recover some space…

Is it possible to check a free space ratio on the storage daemon, fail a job if
required instead of failing also the volumes, waiting for a mount… and thus
avoid a lot of successive error that could cause miscomprehension for the
operator. Else have you got a solution to avoid my issue. I will have more
space in few weeks but my backups are also being much larger due to enterprise
expansion.

Can you help me

Thanks

Hugo