Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Multi-stream data transfer

2012-06-08 01:49:42
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Multi-stream data transfer
From: Steven Ellis <ellis AT brouhaha DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2012 22:31:15 -0700
On 6/7/2012 7:51 PM, Alex Lucas wrote:
Dears,

Is there a way to setup multi-stream data transfer?

Background: The backup is disk to disk over a dedicated WAN 2M link. We have tested the link with iperf and can get maximum speed out of it (when using >10 concurrent connections). Our current bacula fd-->sd speed is averaging at 1Mbps (only about half of the available bandwidth). Tried compression on/off - no noticeable difference. Note: speed of backup observed with mrtg, iptraf, dstat etc.

Not answering your question, but have you looked at what might be going on in the TCP level to prevent you from saturating this 2M link?  I assume that the latency on the link must be pretty large, otherwise any TCP stack should easily be able to saturate it with only 1 connection.  Not sure whether this can be configured in bacula, but the socket buffer sizes may be too small, or perhaps TCP window scaling is not enabled (which is usually enabled for a whole system and has been on by default in Linux for a long time).

-se