Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] tape drive on 2nd server

2012-06-07 10:47:18
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] tape drive on 2nd server
From: Guido Falsi <mad AT madpilot DOT net>
To: "Bertrand, Guy" <Guy.Bertrand AT banctec DOT com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 16:44:58 +0200
On Thu, Jun 07, 2012 at 01:47:26PM +0000, Bertrand, Guy wrote:
> Hi Adrian,
>
> Thanks for the info.  I will look at that URL.
>
> I tried to setup the iSCSI and was able to successfully control the
> autochanger.  However, I tried to configure the tape drive as pass-through,
> and seem to get some issues.  I was lacking time, so I finally switched the
> servers, and make the single CPU with tape drive the main Bacula server, and
> the dual CPU with disk mounted as NFS.  This works, but I was hoping to have
> the other way so that my backups would be faster.  My full backups are quite
> long.

Sorry for the delay in my answer. I saw this email just now.

I have it working with an arch linux machine using the TGT iSCSI Target
(on arch it's available from th AUR repository).

I'm usually a FreeBSD user and had a working setup with FreeBSD and the
net/istgt
target. BTW lately another implementation (opentgt) was added to the
FreeBSD ports collection, but I have not tested it.

I had to move it to linux because HP (it's driving an HP changer) would
not assist us with hardware problems if I was not using windows or
linux. It's been linux since then.

Not mush documentation around, I can give you this recipe for arch linux+tgt,
I hope it translates easily to other linuxses.

I have the following in /etc/tgt/mytargets:

TGT="/usr/sbin/tgtadm"
IQN="iqn.2012-01.org.test.machine:Ultrium"
INI="192.168.1.1"

$TGT --lld iscsi --op new --mode target --tid 1 -T $IQN
$TGT --lld iscsi --op new --mode logicalunit --tid 1 --lun 1 \
--bstype=sg --device-type=pt -b /dev/sg3
$TGT --lld iscsi --op new --mode logicalunit --tid 1 --lun 2 \
--bstype=sg --device-type=pt -b /dev/sg4
$TGT --lld iscsi --op bind --mode target --tid 1 -I $INI
$TGT --lld iscsi --mode target --op update --tid 1 \
--name MaxRecvDataSegmentLength --value 65536
$TGT --lld iscsi --mode target --op update --tid 1 \
--name MaxXmitDataSegmentLength --value 65536

sg3 is the tape, sg4 is the changer control.

The will appear as LUN1 and LUN 2 on the iscsi device, as tgt will pick
LUN 0 for itself.

I modified the startup script in /etc/rc.d (arch way, other linux use
/etc/init.d I think) to use the above script to configure targets.

Not using authentication since it's a private network unaccessible from
anywhere else.

Anyway adding authentication is just a matter of a few more tgtadmin
lines.

> When I have a chance, I'll revisit my config and try it again.

Hope the information I gave you helps. I can also dig out the
configuration I was using with FreeBSD for it.

The bacula server is a FreeBSD 9.0-STABLE machine.

If you need some more help just ask. Just CC me directly, so I notice
the email earlier.

--
Guido Falsi <mad AT madpilot DOT net>