Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Universal Restore

2012-04-11 11:07:10
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Universal Restore
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: Mike Ruskai <thannyd AT earthlink DOT net>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 11:04:55 -0400
> Bacula isn't really about bare-metal recovery, especially when it comes
> to Windows.  Using just Bacula, the answer for Windows is to install the
> system from scratch on the new hardware, install the Bacula client, then
> do a restore.  I'm not even sure how simple restore will work with
> locked files, such as with the system and user registries.
>
> What I do is to use a separate Windows backup package to create a
> bare-metal recovery image (Acronis, Ghost, whatever), then back that
> image up using Bacula.  You need an external drive and a system to
> restore the image into that drive.  Then you use the boot CD of the
> Windows backup software to restore as if Bacula weren't in the picture.

If the machines are windows 7, I would create a system image with the
builtin backup software. You can save these images on the network and
use bacula to make a backup of these. Only problem is this makes a
snapshot of the entire C: (or system drive) so I now try to partition
so that C: is 100 to 200 GB and separate OS from data.

John