Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Backup to CIFS share and timeouts

2012-03-20 09:45:32
Subject: [Bacula-users] Backup to CIFS share and timeouts
From: Jeremy Maes <jma AT schaubroeck DOT be>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 14:43:17 +0100
Hey

At a few sites we use bacula to write backups to a CIFS share. Mostly this works just fine, but on a few of those setups we regularly experience CIFS timeouts.
We believe these timeouts are mostly due to the servers hosting the shares being under heavy load at the time of the backup (they're mostly backupservers, or servers running other backup software at the time). Due to the timeout being hardcoded in CIFS it's something we can't really change. (realistically anyways)

    kernel:  CIFS VFS: Error -4 sending data on socket to server
    kernel:  CIFS VFS: No response to cmd 47 mid 27585

Now these timeouts themselves aren't that big of an issue, the fact that bacula seems to be completely unaware on the other hand is something I find a bit alarming.
Bacula will quite happily keep writing and finish a backup with an OK status and rapport, while the syslog is full with CIFS timeout messages. The verify that runs after then usually detects that half or more of the files are actually missing from the backup.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Shouldn't bacula catch these timeouts and either retry to send the data, or just fail the job? (preferably the first of course) And yes, solving the timeouts in the first place would be the best thing to do, however that is out of my control in almost all of those cases.

Regards,
Jeremy

**** DISCLAIMER ****
http://www.schaubroeck.be/maildisclaimer.htm