Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] correct way to re-use tapes previously used with another Bacula installation

2012-03-19 11:37:16
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] correct way to re-use tapes previously used with another Bacula installation
From: Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>
To: Tilman Schmidt <t.schmidt AT phoenixsoftware DOT de>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 15:50:05 +0000
On 13/03/12 23:44, Tilman Schmidt wrote:
> Am 13.03.2012 13:49, schrieb Phil Stracchino:
>> The easiest way is to release the tape drive, then use mt to weof all of
>> the tapes.  You can then relabel them as though they were new tapes.
>
> Thanks for the answer. I'll try that. One small correction though:
> releasing the drive is not enough. After release, mt still reports
> "Device or resource busy". The drive has to be unmounted before
> Bacula will allow mt to access it.

You can also use btape to put new labels on the tapes. It doesn't care
what's already there.

your add/purge/rename strategy is a good example of lateral thinking. If
it works for you there's no reason why you can't use it - and doing it
that way means you don't have to depend on external programs and a
string of manual commands to get the tapes ready for use.

There is no "correct way" to do these things. It's more like "what's the
least work?"