Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] correct way to re-use tapes previously used with another Bacula installation

2012-03-13 06:09:18
Subject: [Bacula-users] correct way to re-use tapes previously used with another Bacula installation
From: Tilman Schmidt <t.schmidt AT phoenixsoftware DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 11:06:58 +0100
I have a need to re-use a pile of tapes with a current Bacula
installation that has been used previously with another, now
defunct, Bacula installation. The tapes mount alright and the
label is recognized, but they cannot be used because they are
not listed in the catalog, the "label" command refuses to
overwrite the existing label, and the "relabel" command
requires the existing label to be in the catalog.

I have found three ways to correct this:

a) bconsole "unmount", run bscan from the command line,
bconsole "mount", "purge", "relabel"

b) bconsole "unmount", overwrite the tape label from the
command line so that Bacula doesn't recognize it anymore,
bconsole "label"

c) bconsole "add volume", "purge", "relabel"

The third way is the quickest and in my impresson sanest in
the circumstances, but "add volume" warns me every time:

"You probably don't want to be using this command since it
creates database records without labeling the Volumes.
You probably want to use the "label" command."

Should I just ignore that warning, or does method c) have a
flaw I haven't noticed? Is there a better way?

Thanks,
Tilman

--
Tilman Schmidt