Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Concurrent Jobs only for Backup Jobs

2012-03-13 06:52:24
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Concurrent Jobs only for Backup Jobs
From: Markus Kress <Markus.Kress AT gls-itservices DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 11:50:59 +0100
Hello Adrian,

thank you, it works. I've tested this two years ago and it doesn't work as
it should work. So I never had a look again about the priorities. Actually
I don't know if there was a bug in bacula or in my two years old config.
But I still use many parts of my old configuration where the prios are
still set like your described. So I had only to set the max conurrent to a
higher value.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Markus Kress
System Technologies

GLS IT-Services GmbH
GLS Germany-Straße 1-7
36286 Neuenstein
Germany

T +49 (0) 66 77 17 426
M +49 (0) 172 1781 426
F +49 (0) 66 77 17 486

E markus.kress AT gls-itservices DOT com

Adrian Reyer <bacula-lists AT lihas DOT de> schrieb am 08.03.2012 10:12:20:

> Hi Markus,
>
> On Thu, Mar 08, 2012 at 09:09:22AM +0100, Markus Kress wrote:
> > defined sequence. In other words: only the backup and verify jobs
should
> > run concurrently, the admin jobs in a defined sequence before and after
all
> > other jobs.
> > admin job 1
> > admin job 2
> > admin job 3
> > backup job client 1, backup job client 2 ...
> > verify job client 1, verify job client 2 ... (VolumeToCatalog)
> > admin job 4
> > admin job 5
> > admin job 6
>
> I solve similar things with priorities and a job to schedule the admin
> jobs. The core statements are:
>   Allow Mixed Priority = no
>   Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 100
>
> All backup jobs are run at e.g priority 50, then you can just run the
> admin jobs beforhand with priorities between 1 and 40, those afterwards
> with priorities between 60 and 100. The verify jobs you can run e.g. at
> priority 55 all at once in a schedule or scheduled by the individual job
> as a post-job, depending on how your load-szenario is.
> The numbers are made up, I use priorities 5-20 myself and an admin job
> ScheduleCopyMigrate (priority 15) priority that schedules 3 admin jobs,
> CopyArch (prio 5), MigrateTape (prio 7), CopyTape (prio 8). The
> ScheduleCopyArchive is timed after the backups (prio 10) start.
> That way all backups are done, then CopyArch runs, which in turn
> schedules a ton of copy jobs at priority 5, when they are done
> MigrateTape schedules a few migration jobs at prio 7, after they are
> done, CopyTape schedules more copy jobs at priority 8.
> That way I make sure, all scheduled jobs are done before the next normal
> backups start.
>
> Yes, I am aware this has nothing to do with admin connections.
>
> Regards,
>    Adrian
> --
> LiHAS - Adrian Reyer - Hessenwiesenstraße 10 - D-70565 Stuttgart
> Fon: +49 (7 11) 78 28 50 90 - Fax:  +49 (7 11) 78 28 50 91
> Mail: lihas AT lihas DOT de - Web: http://lihas.de
> Linux, Netzwerke, Consulting & Support - USt-ID: DE 227 816 626 Stuttgart

GLS IT Services GmbH
Sitz: Neuenstein, Amtsgericht Bad Hersfeld HRB 388, Geschäftsführer: Rüdiger
Schmahl