Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] excluded folders being included in the backup

2012-03-08 18:58:08
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] excluded folders being included in the backup
From: Steve Ellis <ellis AT brouhaha DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2012 15:56:30 -0800
On 3/8/12 3:34 PM, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> On Thursday 08 March 2012 20:35:10 Andrea Conti wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>>> I've added exclude entries for most of the folders
>>> I don't want to back up but they're still being included,
>> Which folders are still being included? All of them or just some?
>>
>> A lot of the "default" folders under windows 7 (for example 'Application
>> Data' and 'Local Settings' in every user directory) are really junction
>> points, i.e. a kind of link referring to some other folder: you are
>> probably excluding the junction points (which bacula does not descend
>> into anyway) instead of the actual folders.
>>
>> You can use "dir /a" in a command prompt to quickly find out what
>> folders are really junctions and what they point to.
>>
>> andrea
> Hi Andrea,
>
> Examples are:
>
> C:/Windows/winsxs/
> C:/$Recycle.Bin/
> C:/dell

Just a guess, but I'm thinking that this may be due to the trailing '/'
in your 'wild' entries.  I know that for my systems, when I exclude
(with "Ignore Case"), I'm able to exclude both files and directories
appropriately with wild, but I never put trailing '/' in the directory
names.  Also, just to check I ran a simple test using 'bwild' (a tool I
was not previously aware of) and that suggested that the trailing '/'
might be a problem (unclear since bwild doesn't actually look at
filesystems, instead it takes filenames in a file).

-se