Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Multi-cores compression

2012-03-07 08:49:15
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Multi-cores compression
From: "Clark, Patricia A." <clarkpa AT ornl DOT gov>
To: "Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 08:45:47 -0500
The software (bacula in this case) is not involved with managing the keys
in hardware encryption.  It is managed by other software or by the tape
library itself.  I came from a Networker environment using LTO-4 and
encryption.  In that specific case, Quantum has their own key manager (a
relabel of IBM's key management software) that does all of the key
management conversation with the tape drives.  Networker is blissfully
unaware of any of it.  I am now working on an installation with a Spectra
Logic library and LTO-5 media.  The library itself does the key
management.  Again, any backup software that I use will have no idea if
the encryption is being used or not.  In fact, simple *nix tar commands
writing to a tape drive that is using HW encryption will indeed have an
encrypted media.

Patti