Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Multi-cores compression

2012-03-05 09:36:01
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Multi-cores compression
From: Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>
To: Gael Guilmin <Gael.Guilmin AT PDGM DOT com>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2012 14:45:51 +0000
On 05/03/12 14:24, Gael Guilmin wrote:
> To gain space on the LT0.

Don't bother.

1: Compression maxes out at about 30MB/s

2: LTO has inbuilt hardware compression which is "good enough" and a
_LOT_ faster than any CPU you can throw at the task.

The _only_ use for compression is on slow WAN links and when writing to
disk - and for the latter I'd consider using compressing FSes such as
ZFS in preference to using Bacula compression.