Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] monitoring status / health

2012-02-28 13:54:04
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] monitoring status / health
From: Simone Caronni <negativo17 AT gmail DOT com>
To: Ben Walton <bwalton AT artsci.utoronto DOT ca>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 19:51:38 +0100
Hello,

in the examples/nagios/check_bacula sub-directory of the Bacula source code there is the Nagios plugin (an executable) that is able to connect to all the daemons using the configured "monitor" resource.

I use that extensively and I've always found it very useful. It is compatible with Bacula Enterprise Edition as well; so you can monitor daemons from any version.

The packages is available in Fedora 15/16/17/rawhide as "nagios-plugins-bacula" or if you're running CentOS/RHEL/Fedora and want the latest version look here:
http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/slaanesh/bacula/README.txt

If you want to run it somewhere else here is a snippet of the spec file code required to compile it:

pushd examples/nagios/check_bacula
             CFLAGS="%{optflags}" %{__make} LIBS="-lpthread -ldl -lssl -lcrypto -lz"
popd

Regards,
--Simone

On 28 February 2012 18:20, Ben Walton <bwalton AT artsci.utoronto DOT ca> wrote:
Excerpts from Johannes Fabian Rußek's message of Tue Feb 28 11:04:40 -0500 2012:

Hi Johannes,

> another thing I'm wondering is how do you guys monitor the health of
> all the bacula daemons on a site with tools like nagios, zenoss,
> zabbix etc. Do you have some checks that do not require a mysql
> database as backend?  Any links or feedback would be highly
> appreciated.

I have each job 'check in' with nagios via nsca.  The nagios monitors
are passive and only chirp if they haven't been updated in X time.  It
works well for us so far.

Thanks
-Ben
--
Ben Walton
Systems Programmer - CHASS

You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore (R. W. Emerson).