Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Problems to configure two tapes in a pool.

2012-02-29 07:36:27
Subject: [Bacula-users] Problems to configure two tapes in a pool.
From: Josué Alcalde González <Josue.Alcalde AT csa DOT es>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 12:19:22 +0000
Hello.

I am new to this list and I would like to introduce myself first. My name is Josué Alcalde and I work at a Spanish IT company. We have been using Bacula for backup for almost two years with a configuration about tuenty servers. Now, I am having some problems with a change in my configuration and I hope I could get some help here.

Our configuration is simple.
A LTO-4 device without auto-changer.
About twenty clients with one job and fileset by client
Five pools with one tape for week days from Monday to Friday (no need for back up on weekend)
Four Schedules (before backukp, backup, backup catalog and after backup)

We use the Schedule before backup to mount the tape and the one after backup to eject it, so everything works automatically and the only job for the operator is get the ejected tape and put the correct tape in the device. The backup is scheduled to start about 4:00 am, so we really are doing backups from Tuesday to Saturday.

My problem comes with a change that will introduce another tape. The idea is take a tape far away from our office when it is possible, so we have a 'very big disaster' alternative tape. It usually happens once a week but not necessary, so I can't use a “15 days pool” because some times the tape won't be available.

My idea was to convert the FridayPool into WeeklyPool with two tapes and let Bacula use one of them, the tape which is in the device when the job starts. The problem is that Bacula decides the tape it wants and it won't use the other one even if it is available and mounted. So, my Fridays backup are only taking place some times.

I would thank any help to configure this scenario in the right way.
Also, I am attaching my current configuration (a short version of it) in case of it is useful.

Josué Alcalde González
Jefe de Equipo Desarrollo en Entornos Abiertos
josue.alcalde AT csa DOT es