Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] smartall.c:145 Out of memory

2012-02-27 12:48:24
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] smartall.c:145 Out of memory
From: Martin Simmons <martin AT lispworks DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 17:46:20 GMT

> I'm back again :(
>
> dbcheck didn't work this time and I'm unable to work out how to continue.
>
> Testing each part of the process as best I could I've worked out:
>
> - We are using an older version of bacula
> - Bacula crashes when doing a restore
> - Bacula runs the pgsql command, pgsql doesn't crash. Though, it does
> return 6.1gb (test by running the query) of data.
> - Once the sql statement finishes bacula tries to build the directory
> tree and dies
>
> Output of bconsole:
>  >Building directory tree for JobId(s) 519 ...
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++root@chsv01:~#
>
> Output of bacula-directore with d=9 (wasn't sure what # to use)
>  >root@chsv01:~# bacula-dir -d 9 -dt -f -v
>
>  >27-Feb 16:02 chsv01-dir: ABORTING due to ERROR in smartall.c:145
>  >Out of memory
>  >Bacula interrupted by signal 11: Segmentation violation
>  >Kaboom! bacula-dir, chsv01-dir got signal 11 - Segmentation violation.
> Attemptin
>  >g traceback.
>  >Kaboom! exepath=/root
>  >Calling: /root/btraceback /root/bacula-dir 10459 /var/lib/bacula
>  >execv: /root/btraceback failed: ERR=No such file or directory
>  >It looks like the traceback worked ...
>  >Dumping: /var/lib/bacula/chsv01-dir.10459.bactrace
>  >chsv01-dir: lockmgr.c:928 lockmgr disabled
>
> Testing with a smaller backup of 693,645 files works fine.
> The host is 32bit
> Theres usually around 8gb of memory available and 30gb of swap available.
>

> So my questions are:
>
> 6.1gb of data returned by pgsql seems like a lot. There's roughly
> 9,652,916 rows returned. Sound correct?

Possibly, if you have some longish paths.

> The host is a 32bit os. Is the 32bit memory limit being hit? How can I
> be sure?
>
> Any ideas?

FWIW, building the tree for a backup of 863,753 files expanded the
bacula-dir's memory size to 154MB for me (on a 64-bit machine).  The psql
command's output is much more verbose than the tree, because it lists each
path multiple times and is padded to the length of the longest one.

__Martin