Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Off site backups

2012-02-24 12:47:34
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Off site backups
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 12:45:08 -0500
On 2/24/2012 11:41 AM, Johannes Fabian Rußek wrote:
> Hi John,
> yes we are using disks. carrying tapes across the atlantic isn't
> really an option unless you can walk on water and there is only one
> known case of that.

All you really need do is somehow copy the disk volume files to another
server, yes? The real advantage of rsync is that it reduces the
transmission size when files have been altered by transmitting only the
diff of the two files. In the case of Bacula volumes, the entire files
have to be transmitted anyway, so why not use HTTPS over a VPN and
require x509 certificate authentication, or better still, two-factor
auth requiring both x509 cert and password. Then the files are simply
download with a web browser and have your monitoring as well as a secure
and very robust transport protocol.