Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Is this strategy sensible ?

2012-02-20 06:27:23
Subject: [Bacula-users] Is this strategy sensible ?
From: keith <keith AT scott-land DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 10:59:26 +0000
We been using Bacula for just over a month now and want to get our
offsite backups in place. We do file based backups with the following
schedule.

  Name = WeeklyCycle
   Run = Level=Full Pool=Full-Pool 1st sun at 20:40
   Run = Level=Differential Pool=Diff-Pool 2nd-5th sun at 20:40
   Run = Level=Incremental Pool=Inc-Pool mon-sat at 20:40

The above schedule works fine, But I want to rsync the backup files to
another data center automatically. The above schedule works fine but
when a full backup happens there's to much data to transfer over the
network. So I am thinking about modifying the schedule so that the full
backups only happen once every 6 months and using weekly Diff's as
these's are much easier to transfer as our data doesn't change that often.
Then every 6 months we'd manualy trawnsfer the full backup files.
Is this a good idea ?

If we do the above it would be nice to have a seperate "Full" backup
schedule that we run in addition just as a precaution. We couldn't
transfer the full backups anywhere they would just be there in case. If
we were to do this we would need the additional full backups to run
without modifying the files on the clients. Is this possible ?

Thanks
Keith