Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Network connection droping using bacula-fd in Windows VM under a Citrix Xen Server

2012-02-17 13:47:49
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Network connection droping using bacula-fd in Windows VM under a Citrix Xen Server
From: Jaime Ferrer Hepp <jaferrer AT ingesoft DOT net>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 18:45:06 +0000

Hi all:

                I’ve been using Bacula for quite some time. We Backup several servers through internet  from different sites (10 Mbps bandwidth each) to a Bacula-SD in a data center (100  Mbps bandwidth), which also holds the director. This configuration have been working for several years with no significant issues.

                We recently configure two windows 2008  virtual machines running under Citrix Xen Server in two different sites. We have not been able to finish a complete backup of them. They all finishes with network error for example (errors coming from de FD and SD):

·         ERR=Input/output |  Network send error to SD.

·         Write error sending 17044 bytes to Storage daemon | : ERR=Input/output | Network send error to SD | ERR=Connection reset by peer

·         Network error reading from FD. ERR=Connection reset by peer

·         Etc.

It seems that at some point the connection is dropped, but it doesn’t follow any pattern in time neither in transmitted size. Some times it only transmit less than 5 Gb and sometimes it goes to more than 40GB until the backup is dropped. In the same site we have previously a Windows Machine with bacula which ran without any problem.

We have also a similar configuration using Hyper-V as an hypervisor backuping up a Windows virtual machine without any problem.

I have my suspicious that it could be a Citrix Xen Server / Virtual Adapter problem, but I want to hear if someone else have gone through this before.

I’m using Bacula 5.0.2 in both Director and Storage Daemon. As for File Daemon we have tried with several versions.

The affected machines are two virtual windows 2008 Server (and 2008 R2)

Can anyone give me a hint on this?

Kindest Regards.

Jaime Ferrer