Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] automatic volume recycling in Bacula 2.4.4

2012-02-08 08:20:23
Subject: [Bacula-users] automatic volume recycling in Bacula 2.4.4
From: "Lucas B. Cohen" <lbc AT bnrlabs DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2012 14:17:49 +0100
Hello,

>>From what I've read in the archives, this is a tricky subject. I've
regularly had issues with this in the past, and have stumbled upon a few
threads that deal with it. That, coupled with some unholy kludges (such
as disabling the /Enabled/ field for volumes I wanted left alone) has
gotten me where I want to be so far, but now I'm stuck again.

Mimicking the advice in a previous thread [1], restarting the Storage
Daemon after manually purging a volume it has helped me get a backup job
to use it. However this is a large job that is to spand multiple
volumes, and the other volumes in the pool, all in /Used/ state, are
ignored by Bacula who requests a new one be label instead. This is what
my pool looks like :

---+-------------+-----------+---------+-----------------+
Id | VolumeName  | VolStatus | Enabled | VolBytes        |
---+-------------+-----------+---------+-----------------+
33 | Sony_01     | Full      |       1 | 164,679,846,912 |
34 | Sony_02     | Used      |       1 |               1 |
35 | Sony_03     | Used      |       1 |               1 |
37 | Sony_04     | Used      |       1 |         524,288 |
38 | Sony_05     | Purged    |       0 | 188,257,499,136 |
39 | Sony_06     | Purged    |       0 | 196,336,659,456 |
40 | Sony_07     | Append    |       0 | 177,335,165,952 |
41 | Sony_08     | Append    |       0 |         524,288 |
---+-------------+-----------+---------+-----------------+

33 to 37 is the set I'm trying to write my job to;
(38 to 41 is in the vault, hence its zeroed /Enabled/ bit I mentioned
(seeing as I usually run late in my backup schedule, keep them beyond
their set Retention Time, and Bacula usually wants to use them otherwise))

This situation is more troublesome than what I've encountered before,
since the issue arises after a full tape has been written to (that's a
few hours given the slow PCI bus my SCSI HBA is connected to). This
makes trial and error costly in terms of time and hardware wear.

Before I migrate to a newer version of Bacula, is there a way I can get
this backup job to execute on this set of tapes ?

Regards,

Lucas

[1] http://adsm.org//lists/html/Bacula-users/2008-06/msg00292.html