Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] FD behind NAT

2012-02-07 13:14:48
Subject: [Bacula-users] FD behind NAT
From: Christopher Geegan <cgeegan AT infosecur DOT biz>
To: "bacula-users " <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2012 11:55:57 -0600 (CST)
Forgive me if this has been asked and answered.

I have a client (FD) behind NAT and I am look for ways to initiate backup jobs
from the server without port forwarding on the client side.

I have read numerous articles of how to resolve issues with the server (DIR/SD)
being behind NAT but to me this is easy. I have even looked over the "Dealing
with Firewalls" section of the manual. In order for bacula to work Dir must be
able to contact FD to tell it to start the backup. Port forwarding is not an
option as we have numerous clients, Linux and Windows, behind NAT and we cannot
assign an external IP to each internal FD. To me this means I have to have a
site-to-site VPN tunnel or clients each running OpenVPN for example.

I am hoping somone can point me towards something I missed.