Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Catalog backup while job running?

2012-02-06 17:17:42
Subject: [Bacula-users] Catalog backup while job running?
From: Stephen Thompson <stephen AT seismo.berkeley DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2012 14:02:19 -0800

Hello,

We were wondering if anyone using bacula had come up with a creative way
to backup their Catalog.  We understand the basic dilemna -- that one
should not backup a database that is in use, because it's not a coherent
view.

Currently we've managed to keep our filesets and jobs small enough that
we're able to run jobs (a few full jobs along with an incremental of all
jobs) in under 24 hours and then (per the bacula manual) backup the
Catalog afterwards when nothing is running.  However, we're faced with
some new jobs that may take 4 days to complete.  We have multiple tape
drives, so we can run a "long-running" job on one drive while we use
another for nightly Incrementals without contention.  But, we would also
like to get nightly backup of the Catalog that reflects the changes
introduced by the nightly Incrementals.

So, my question is whether anyone had any ideas about the feasibility of
getting a backup of the Catalog while a single "long-running" job is
active?  This could be in-band (database dump) or out-of-band (copy of
database directory on filesystem or slave database server taken
offline).  We are using MySQL, but would not be opposed to switching to
PostGRES if it buys us anything in this regard.

What I wonder specifically (in creating my own solution) is:
1) If I backup the MySQL database directory, or sync to a slave server
and create a dump from that, am I simply putting the active
"long-running" job records at risk of being incoherent, or am I risking
the integrity of the whole Catalog in doing so?
2) If I attempt a dump of the MySQL catalog and lock the tables while
doing so, what will the results be to the active "long-running" job?
Will it crap out or simply pause and wait for database access when it
needs to read/write to the database?  And if so, how long will it wait?

thanks for reading,
Stephen
--
Stephen Thompson               Berkeley Seismological Laboratory
stephen AT seismo.berkeley DOT edu    215 McCone Hall # 4760