Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Testing Bacula configuration files

2012-02-01 08:59:46
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Testing Bacula configuration files
From: Christian Manal <moenoel AT informatik.uni-bremen DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2012 14:57:49 +0100
Am 01.02.2012 14:28, schrieb Joe Nyland:

> Hello,
>
> I've trying to setup a verify jobs for my Bacula system.
>
> Before releasing the configuration to the production server, I would
> like to simply verify the configuration file, to make sure I've not
> messed some of the configuration up somewhere.
>
> From the manual, I have run:
> sudo bacula-dir -t -c bacula-dir.conf
>
> Nothing was returned from the command, so I presume it's ok. Just to
> make sure, I changed a few of the resources in the file, so that they
> were definitely invalid. I then re-ran the command above, but still
> nothing was returned...
>
> Does anyone know why this would happen? I've not been able to find any
> bugs logged on bugs.bacula.org along these lines, so I presume I'm doing
> something wrong!
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Joe Nyland

Hi,

if you only give a filename, without a path (even a relative one),
bacula-dir will look for it in the default configuration directory. For
example from my director:

  $ pwd
  /tmp
  $ truss bacula-dir -t -c bacula-dir.conf 2>&1 | grep bacula-dir.conf
  open("/etc/bacula/bacula-dir.conf", O_RDONLY)   = 3
  $
  $ truss bacula-dir -t -c ./bacula-dir.conf 2>&1 | grep bacula-dir.conf
  open("./bacula-dir.conf", O_RDONLY)             = 3

Assuming the file you want to test is in your working directory, this
might be your problem.

Regards,
Christian Manal