Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] bacula block size

2012-01-31 10:44:02
Subject: [Bacula-users] bacula block size
From: "Rao, Uthra R. (GSFC-672.0)[ADNET SYSTEMS INC]" <uthra.r.rao AT nasa DOT gov>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 09:41:27 -0600

I have Bacula 5.2.3 compiled on a RHEL 6 Server. I have IBM TS3200 Tape Library with two tape drives: LTO5 FH. I looking to see how I can get the best performance and speed up my backups

I checked with IBM and was told that my tape drives support a maximum block size of 256k.

My understanding is the default block size in Bacula is 64k

When I do :

# tapeinfo -f /dev/sg0

Product Type: Tape Drive

Vendor ID: 'IBM     '

Product ID: 'ULT3580-TD5     '

Revision: 'B5BF'

Attached Changer API: No

SerialNumber: '1068007095'

MinBlock: 1

MaxBlock: 16777215

SCSI ID: 0

SCSI LUN: 0

Ready: yes

BufferedMode: yes

Medium Type: 0x58

Density Code: 0x58

BlockSize: 0

DataCompEnabled: yes

DataCompCapable: yes

DataDeCompEnabled: yes

CompType: 0x1

DeCompType: 0x1

BOP: yes

Block Position: 0

Partition 0 Remaining Kbytes: -1

Partition 0 Size in Kbytes: -1

ActivePartition: 0

EarlyWarningSize: 0

NumPartitions: 0

MaxPartitions: 1

I added the min/max block size in the Bacula-sd.conf “Device” section:

  Minimum Block Size = 262144

  Maximum Block Size = 262144

This really did not make any difference the “tapeinfo -f /dev/sg0” still shows the BlockSize:0 and MinBlock: 1/ MaxBlock: 16777215.

Has any ne out there done some Bacula tuning with the block size? I would really appreciate some help on this.

Thank you.