Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] critical error -- tape labels get corrupted, previous backups unreadable

2012-01-30 14:14:11
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] critical error -- tape labels get corrupted, previous backups unreadable
From: Martin Simmons <martin AT lispworks DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 19:12:11 GMT

> The fact that the server rebooted between job 42856 and job 42879 makes
> me wonder if something in the fibre/SCSI initialization or bacula-sd
> startup causes tapes to be rewound but not ejected.

The bacula-sd startup will rewind the tape, but Bacula should know about that.

If there is a fibre/SCSI reset without Bacula knowing about it, then that
could cause it.

> Is there any other information that I can provide? Do you suggest running
> bacula-sd or bacula-dir at any particular debugging level to try to get
> more detail if this happens again?

I suspect that are no debug messages that would show anything useful here,
because bacula-sd is probably unaware of the problem.

If you have some way to query the actual tape position periodically then that
would be useful (I don't know if Linux has something similar, but FreeBSD's mt
status command reports this and it can be used on the control mode device even
if Bacula has the drive open).

__Martin