Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] New(ish) tool for MySQL catalog backups

2012-01-27 04:07:47
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] New(ish) tool for MySQL catalog backups
From: Jérôme Blion <jerome.blion AT free DOT fr>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 10:05:27 +0100
On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 22:28:43 -0500, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> Possibly *slightly* off-topic:
>
> Those using MySQL for their catalog DB (well, actually, any of you
> using
> MySQL, but that includes Bacula catalogs) may find this interesting:
>
> http://www.mydumper.org/
>
> It is a mysqldump replacement created by a couple of former MySQL AB
> support engineers.  It is multithreaded, does parallel dumps, can be
> told to ignore specified storage engines, has a daemon mode in which
> it
> does periodic incremental dumps, and automatically generates
> consistent
> dumps from both transactional and non-transactional storage engines
> without the multiple (about 12) options required to achieve the same
> ends with mysqldump.  It stores schema and data in separate files,
> and
> supports both file and DB-connection compression.
>
> In short, it's what mysqldump SHOULD have become by now, but hasn't.

Hello,

For huge databases, a dump is really too slow to restore. mylvmbackup
can take a consistent snapshot of the database.
The backup is a bit longer, the backup file is bigger, restore is much
faster !

Anyway, I use mydumper for small databases. I used to use
mk-parallell-dump until it began to generate OOM errors.
(maatkit team does not recommend mk-paralle-dump for production use)

HTH.
Jérôme Blion