Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Medium set to "Error" after removing mobile Laptop

2011-11-10 10:15:08
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Medium set to "Error" after removing mobile Laptop
From: Bob Hetzel <beh AT case DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 10:13:03 -0500
> From: Ralph Kutschera <news2012 AT kutschera.priv DOT at>
>
> Hallo!
>
>    I'm having this problem since a while without finding a proper
> solution. I use Bacula 5.0.2 on Debian 5.0.8 (Lenny).
>
>    I'm backing up a Laptop which can be removed from the network
> anytime, even during a backup job. To be honest I don't care whether the
> job is run successfully or not. Once in a month it will.
>
>    Nonetheless, after the Laptop is removed and the fd/sd gets a
> timeout, the volume to which the backup was to be written is set to
> state "Error".
>
>    Is there a possibility to pass over this behavior? To continue using
> the volume as nothing has happend marking the job as "part" or "aborted"
> (whatever).
>
> Thanks,
>    Ralph

I believe this behavior was adjusted in the release version of 5.0.3 so if
you upgrade to that or the newly released 5.2.1 you should not have it any
more.  Now, when bacula finds a volume having 1 more file on the tape than
in the catalog it simply increments the value in the catalog by one and
moves on gracefully.  Previously it assumed you had a tape error causing
the write abort rather than just a client simply going away in the middle
of the backup.  I used to see this frequently with desktop/laptop backups
here but no more.

If you want to re-cycle those volumes, you can mark them as Used or Full.
If you want to keep writing to them prior to recycling, you can mark them
as Append and then increment the volume files in the catalog by 1 manually.