Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Automatic tape drive unload?

2011-11-10 10:00:59
Subject: [Bacula-users] Automatic tape drive unload?
From: Dirk Billerbeck <dirk.billerbeck AT ensec DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 15:34:07 +0100
Hello,

I'm new to Bacula and still learning the concepts of it. So maybe I've overlooked that in the documentation but there is one thing I couldn't figure out right now:

Is it possible to unload a tape drive automatically after it has been idle for a specified period of time?

I'm asking that question because I remember the problems with the earlier DLT drives where tape and head sticked together because of the heat... And second it's much better for the durability of a tape to be in its cartridge.

I tried setting "AlwaysOpen = no "but that caused a huge performance penalty during migration...

Oh, BTW: It's a StorageTek L20 tape library with two IBM LTO-1 drives. Library and drives are defined as follows:

Autochanger {
  Name = L20
  Device = L20-Drive-0
  Device = L20-Drive-1
  Changer Command = "/etc/bacula/scripts/mtx-changer %c %o %S %a %d"
  Changer Device = /dev/sg1
}

Device {
  Name = L20-Drive-0                      #
  Drive Index = 0
  Media Type = LTO-1
  Device Type = Tape
  Archive Device = /dev/nst0
  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 1
  AutomaticMount = yes;
  AlwaysOpen = yes;
  RemovableMedia = yes;
  RandomAccess = no;
  AutoChanger = yes
  Alert Command = "sh -c 'tapeinfo -f %c |grep TapeAlert|cat'"
}

[Second drive omitted because identical to first]

Maybe someone knows a solution?

TNX!

Regards

Dirk