Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Slow tape write, no more than 60-70 MB/s in 5.0.3

2011-11-09 08:25:35
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Slow tape write, no more than 60-70 MB/s in 5.0.3
From: Cejka Rudolf <cejkar AT fit.vutbr DOT cz>
To: Marcio Merlone <marcio.merlone AT a1.ind DOT br>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 14:23:44 +0100
Marcio Merlone wrote (2011/11/09):
> Em 09-11-2011 09:26, Cejka Rudolf escreveu:
> > Cejka Rudolf wrote (2011/11/09):
> >>    does anybody have any idea, why after upgrade from Bacula 2.4.3 to
> >> 5.0.3,
> >> tape write speed dropped down from about 70-120 MB/s (LTO-3 tape limits)
> >> to just 60-70 MB/s? I think that I have seen somewhere, that something
> >> (signatures?) has been moved from clients or director to storage daemon,
> >> but could not find it anymore. Or could be the problem somewhere else?
> > Oops, I'm sorry, I forgot to add -O3. After returning -O3, I can
> > see again speeds over 100 MB/s.
>
> Please enlighten me (us?): Where did you add -03 to improve the speed? I
> have an LTO-4 drive and get no more than 50~60 MB/s!

Hello, before compilation, instead of

./configure ...

try to use

CFLAGS=-O3 ./configure ...

and then see your tape drive more happy ;o)
If there are no bugs caused by -O3...

If Bacula behavior did not change since 2.4.3, the main limiting
factor to achieve higher throughput on LTO tapes, is in CRC32
computations performed between disk spool reads and tape writes.

--
Rudolf Cejka <cejkar at fit.vutbr.cz> http://www.fit.vutbr.cz/~cejkar
Brno University of Technology, Faculty of Information Technology