Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] VSS reporting files corrupted or unreadable

2011-11-07 14:06:03
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] VSS reporting files corrupted or unreadable
From: Avery Ceo <aceo AT enterprisehostinginc DOT com>
To: "Joseph L. Casale" <jcasale AT activenetwerx DOT com>
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2011 14:04:11 -0500
On Mon, 2011-11-07 at 18:52 +0000, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> >Has anybody seen this issue before?  Any suggestions on how to resolve
> >it?
>
> So, when you enable a writer in VSS, if for example you only manually snapshot
> one drive while components under the control of that writer exist on another,
> VSS
> will exclude the writer.
>
> I see you're trying to backup db's for sql? I dont have a lot of experience
> with bacula's
> VSS implementation but you might need to set inclusions on all drives that
> have *ANY*
> sql data on them, even its an empty file.
>
> HTH,
> jlc

Yes, MySQL is running on this server.  To the best of my knowledge, no
VSS writer exists for MySQL.   The current table state may not have been
flushed to disk, but attempts to back up the files should not cause
errors.  Also, the first error file is actually a RAR archive and not
one of the tables, so I think there is something else going on here.

In my initial tests I was snapshotting and backing up all drives, and
seeing the same errors.  The errors are only on the second (data) drive,
and I thought it might be related to the time lag from when the snapshot
was taken to when those files were hit.  The log I linked to was
generated from the test I ran on just the problem drive to decrease the
time between snapshot and read.  The errors started with the same file
on both tests.

--
Regards,

Avery Ceo