Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Virtual Changer / Marking Volume "xxxxx" in Error in Catalog

2011-11-03 10:40:25
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Virtual Changer / Marking Volume "xxxxx" in Error in Catalog
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2011 10:31:18 -0400
On 11/2/2011 3:57 PM, Bob Hetzel wrote:
> On 10/29/2011 10:06 AM, S?bastien WENSKE wrote:
>> Hi List !
>>
>> Does someone knows why "sometimes" Bacula marks Volumes in Error when it
>> can't load a Virtual Tape (a file) because it's already use by another
>> Virtual Device in the Virtual AutoChanger ? I specified " Prefer Mounted
>> Volumes = no" in the JobDefs
> The programmers have added a different option for trying to use multiple
> drives in the same pool.  Instead of using "Prefer mounted volumes = no"
> you should "Maximum Concurrent Jobs " per device a try
>
> http://www.bacula.org/5.0.x-manuals/en/main/main/New_Features_in_5_0_0.html#SECTION00510000000000000000
>
> I've been running with this newer config for more than a year now with much
> improved results.  I used to get race conditions that would cause bacula to
> crash using prefer mounted volumes=no and concurrently running 10-15 jobs
> concurrently on two drives.  Also, I believe Kern said that was an
> "unsupported" configuration a while back, but they do intend to fix any
> bugs found in the "Maximum Concurrent Jobs " per device code.

Thanks, Bob. That is a sensible approach, come to think of it.
Previously, Maximum Concurrent Jobs could only be set for the Storage in
the Director's config. Placing a concurrent job restriction at the
Device level in SD is a more practical solution. I was under the
impression that without Prefer Mounted Volumes = no, Bacula would not
select more than one tape from the same pool for concurrent jobs writing
to the same pool. If that is not the case, then it seems to me that
Prefer Mounted Volumes is likely deprecated.

--- Josh Fisher