Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Virtual Changer / Marking Volume "xxxxx" in Error in Catalog

2011-11-02 16:01:23
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Virtual Changer / Marking Volume "xxxxx" in Error in Catalog
From: Bob Hetzel <beh AT case DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2011 15:57:51 -0400
On 10/29/2011 10:06 AM, S?bastien WENSKE wrote:
> Hi List !
>
> Does someone knows why "sometimes" Bacula marks Volumes in Error when it
> can't load a Virtual Tape (a file) because it's already use by another
> Virtual Device in the Virtual AutoChanger ? I specified " Prefer Mounted
> Volumes = no" in the JobDefs

The programmers have added a different option for trying to use multiple
drives in the same pool.  Instead of using "Prefer mounted volumes = no"
you should "Maximum Concurrent Jobs " per device a try

http://www.bacula.org/5.0.x-manuals/en/main/main/New_Features_in_5_0_0.html#SECTION00510000000000000000

I've been running with this newer config for more than a year now with much
improved results.  I used to get race conditions that would cause bacula to
crash using prefer mounted volumes=no and concurrently running 10-15 jobs
concurrently on two drives.  Also, I believe Kern said that was an
"unsupported" configuration a while back, but they do intend to fix any
bugs found in the "Maximum Concurrent Jobs " per device code.

    Bob