Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Remove purged disk volumes

2011-10-31 10:44:34
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Remove purged disk volumes
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 10:42:06 -0400
On 10/31/2011 3:16 AM, Lyn Amery wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> What's the best/easiest strategy for deleting leftover disk volumes
> after they've been purged?  I write a single volume each day and
> only need to keep it for 2 weeks.  I don't recycle volumes.
>
> I assume I could manually delete purged volumes/files, but I'd prefer
> to automate this.  My research shows that this functionality has
> been requested of Bacula in the past, but I can't find any indication
> that it's ever been added.

It was added in version 5.0.1. It does not delete the file, but rather
truncates the file to contain only the volume label. The idea is that it
frees up disk space, and then the purged volume can be reused. If you
want to actually delete the file, then you have to manually, or in a
script, use bconsole's delete volume command to delete the volume from
the Bacula database, then rm the file. The documentation for version
5.0.3 is at
http://www.bacula.org/5.0.x-manuals/en/main/main/New_Features_in_5_0_1.html#SECTION00410000000000000000.