Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Problem backup Exchange 2010

2011-10-17 16:39:11
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Problem backup Exchange 2010
From: "Joseph L. Casale" <jcasale AT activenetwerx DOT com>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 20:35:44 +0000
>Since the Windows Bacula agent uses VSS snapshots to do its backups,
>what is your script doing differently than simply configuring Bacula to backup
>e.g. the D: drive (if your Exchange DBs are on D:)?  Honest question, not
>being critical.  I've been doing backups as another replier mentioned, using
>Windows Backup and then backing up that resulting image with Bacula.
>Perhaps that's overkill?

Mainly because I don't know c so going through the code wouldn't help me:)
It would be better, but my way has lots of logging and error checking that _I_
can get and interpret.

You are very correct, one thing though is that since we cant mandate a
dependency
on a writer, how do we know if vss was able to guarantee the data was quiesced?
I am sure bacula might emit a warning, but I don't know. My script exits non 0
if this
occurred etc etc...

Since I verify my backup legitimately all the way through to a complete restore
would know but its how I started out doing it.

Maybe someone with bacula based vss insight can chime in, I would love to do
away with the pain of migrating this technique!

jlc