Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] multiple spool files per job

2011-10-08 07:49:27
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] multiple spool files per job
From: Ralf Gross <Ralf-Lists AT ralfgross DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2011 13:43:01 +0200
James Harper schrieb:
> Is there a way to make bacula write multiple spool files per job? Two
> would do. What I'm seeing is that 4 jobs start, all hit their spool
> limit around the same time, then all wait in a queue until the file is
> despooled. The despool happens fairly quickly (much quicker than the
> spooling due to network and server fd throughput) so it isn't a huge
> problem, but it would be better if the sd could just switch over to
> another spool file when despooling starts so that the backup can
> continue uninterrupted.
>
> I'm spooling to internal RAID, then despooling to external USB. While
> spooling isn't really advised when the backup target is a disk, doing it
> this way means I can run multiple jobs at once without causing
> interleaving in the backup file (single sd volume) or severe filesystem
> fragmentation (if one sd volume per job). Internal RAID writes at
> ~100MB/second while the USB disk writes at ~30MB/second so it turns out
> to be a pretty effective way to do what I want except that despooling is
> causing a bottleneck.
>
> Any suggestions?

No, this has been on the feature requests list for a while now.
Spooling nearly doubles my time for large backups.

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.sysutils.backup.bacula.devel/15351

Item 10: Concurrent spooling and despooling within a single job.
http://www.bacula.org/git/cgit.cgi/bacula/plain/bacula/projects?h=Branch-5.1

Ralf