Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] multiple spool files per job

2011-10-08 07:03:51
Subject: [Bacula-users] multiple spool files per job
From: "James Harper" <james.harper AT bendigoit.com DOT au>
To: <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2011 22:01:11 +1100
Is there a way to make bacula write multiple spool files per job? Two
would do. What I'm seeing is that 4 jobs start, all hit their spool
limit around the same time, then all wait in a queue until the file is
despooled. The despool happens fairly quickly (much quicker than the
spooling due to network and server fd throughput) so it isn't a huge
problem, but it would be better if the sd could just switch over to
another spool file when despooling starts so that the backup can
continue uninterrupted.

I'm spooling to internal RAID, then despooling to external USB. While
spooling isn't really advised when the backup target is a disk, doing it
this way means I can run multiple jobs at once without causing
interleaving in the backup file (single sd volume) or severe filesystem
fragmentation (if one sd volume per job). Internal RAID writes at
~100MB/second while the USB disk writes at ~30MB/second so it turns out
to be a pretty effective way to do what I want except that despooling is
causing a bottleneck.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

James