Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] error backing up Exchange 2003

2011-10-04 20:35:01
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] error backing up Exchange 2003
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2011 17:32:40 -0700
On 10/4/2011 3:49 PM, James Harper wrote:
>> I have this error backing up Exchange on a Windows 2008 Standard 64
> bit
>> system.
>> "HrESEBackupSetup" seems to be a Windows call. Bacula reports the
> error
>> and yet seems to back up the proper amount of data though I cannot
> access
>> it since it is flagged as failed. Microsoft has an article about this
> call which ties
>> into the ntbackup. Article ID: 820272.
>>
>> The article is for Windows 2003, but it basically says that is the
> Exchange data
>> and the OS are on the same partition you will have problems. They
>> recommend backing up the main server first and then the exchange data.
>> am currently doing this and I will see what the results are.
> Best practice says you shouldn't have them on the same partition, but it
> shouldn't break anything if you do.
The article refers to a problem specifically with NTBackup. You can have
the Exchange database and the OS on the same partition, but you cannot
back both up in the same job. I am not familiar enough with backing up
Exchange in bacula; it may use similar underlying code, and thus have a
similar problems.

With NTBackup you have to back up just the SystemState, and then back up
the Exchange database separately.

> What error is Bacula giving? What errors are in the event logs?
>
> One thing - if Exchange is set to 'circular logging' then you will have
> problems backing up.
Not really. All circular logging means is that the old database log
files will be deleted before the next backup. In normal operation, these
old log files are never used anyway.

The only reason somebody might want to keep them is to allow restoring
the Exchange database to one particular point in time. Instead of the
traditional "restore the last full backup, and then restore the
incrementals" you would restore the full backup plus all the log files
since then. Then you replay the log files until the exact point in time
you want.

In practical terms, most people never needed this capability, so
circular logging actually is perfectly fine.

In Exchange 2010, circular logging is the default.